Sunday, June 7, 2009

More before and after

Well, Summer is finally here. I actually needed a few days to decompress and didn't dive right in like I thought I would. . . But the adventure has begun and I just finished the dining room. Here are the before and afters:




Messes of this magnitude actually happen a few times/year at our house and I have developed a great system for cleaning them. Because everything is so chaotic, there's no point in trying to put things away since the container for whatever thing might not be where it's supposed to be, either.

Basically I go around each room with a trash bag and a laundry basket sorting between things I want to keep, things to throw away and [create a pile of] laundry. When the laundry basket is full of things I want to keep, I dump it out in the closet under the stairs and close the door. The laundry in any given room goes to the laundry room to await the next wash day and the trash goes out in the trash bin to await the next trash day. When all the rooms have been sorted through, I use several baskets and sort everything under the stairs based on the room each item goes in. This is probably the easiest and fastest part of the job. . . and when the last thing is put away, everything is tidy again!

So that's two down, 12 more to go! I'm on a roll now!

2 comments:

  1. You know what might be pretty? If you put a plant stand in the courner next to the window between the window and the fireplace and placed the green plant that was formerly on your table, pre-cleanup, to catch the sunlight from the window and add some dimension to the area and set off the fireplace.
    Just a thought.
    Love
    Mom

    The room looks outstanding!! you have a great since of style and talent at decorating your home.

    Ashley is so cute and has the most beautiful eyes and skin, her hair looks as if it is trimmed in spun gold. All my love and kisses to Ashley. Love Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand...my house is either perfect or a disaster area. 24 years of marriage and I have never found that comfortable in between:)

    ReplyDelete