Wednesday, March 10, 2010

the joys of third grade

The assignment was to write an advertisement for a new suburb and give two examples of how this new community meets people's need for safety and comfort.

Brandon writes:

BRANDONVILLE [I can't reproduce the video game-like block letters]
. . .a fun place to live. . .

Interested in no work and all play? Brandonville is the place for you! Located minutes from Austin so you can leave your work in the big city and come home to hours of fun. Brandonville offers shopping, restaurants and the safety of knowing that no matter where you live in our community, policemen and firemen are just around the corner. Come see why Brandonville is a fun place to live.

I cracked up. . . .because this is SO Brandon. Seriously, if he could create a community it would totally be no work and all play.

And here's another one:

He's supposed to write a thank-you note after a visit to a friend in a rural community comparing and contrasting where he lives with the farming community of Bridgewater, VA.

He writes:

Dear Amy,
It was fun to visit your community. I enjoyed all the trees and farm animals. Virginia is a long way from where I live in Texas, but both our communities have a river and love sports. It was good to get back to the big city, though. Homecooking is only good for so long before I get hungry for KFC or Popeye's.
Your friend,
Brandon


And then all the preparations for the TAKS. . . While discussing that you can always go back and read the story again if you don't remember the answer, he says, "But what if they ask me about summarizing? I'm terrible at summarizing!" I couldn't believe my ears. This from the kid who writes in answer to the question, Give details about where the community of Bridgewater, VA is located, -- "It's located kind of near the edge of the United States." The kid is absolutely marvelous at summarizing.. I pointed this out to him and underneath the sheepish expression, I saw the light bulb come on. The test is at the end of April, so we've got several more weeks of studying to do.

And the countdown is on -- just ten more weeks to summer!


2 comments:

  1. Wow...there are no words! Good lord he is your child isn't he? Or should I say Jerry's grandson? I love Brandonville and I only wish my 3rd grader could write as well or at all! That's an area I don't see Sydney blossoming at until middle school. What are y'all doing for spring break?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's been writing for "fun" since he was 4. . . But when he's not interested -- let's just say the selections are equally comical because you can see just how much he'd prefer to be doing something else. I'll post the next one.

    We're going to San Antonio for a few days over Spring break. . . and I'm using the rest of the time to get caught up with housework. I'm swamped!

    ReplyDelete