Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I've been tagged!

I've been tagged by my good friend MamaSue. Coming up with ten things took a while because I'm pretty boring. . . But here goes!

1) I have worshiped the ground MamaSue walks on since I was 7 years old. I am always amazed by her wisdom, insight and general brilliance. I always think I'm going to get used to it because I *know* how smart she is. . . but we go years and years between face-to-face visits and talking to her in person is always amazing.

2) I always thought the show, "Happy Days" was actually made in the '50's. . . until one day - I was well into adulthood - I saw an episode where Robin Williams made a guest appearance as "Mork" and finally connected the dots that the two shows were from the same era. . . .and of course the tip-off always should have been that the show was in color.

3) I played flute seriously for about 9 years and considered going professional. I played Vivaldi's "The Goldfinch" at the Texas Flute Festival (American Idol for flutists) in '95 or '96 and the judge said I played the best "birdcall" she'd ever heard. Here's a link to somebody else playing a near-identical "interperetation" (keeping in mind that I only had piano accompaniment). The part close to the beginning where the orchestra stops and the flutist plays all by herself is the "birdcall" and it's open to almost infinate artistic interperetation. . . so it's the only part that's significantly different (mine slowed up considerably in some places and teetered fairly randomly ~ like a bird call).

4) I'm a huge Star Trek fan. . . .Rather, I guess I should say I'm a huge fan of TNG, Voyager and all the movies. The original series is okay. . . I couldn't get into DS9 no matter how hard I tried, and couldn't even make it through the first episode of Enterprise. We moved to Austin halfway through the Voyager series and since Time Warner didn't carry UPN at that time, we had to wait for the last two seasons to come out on DVD to see the end. Watching on DVD is quite a different experience than watching week-to-week because on some subconscious level, you figure they're traveling at warp speed in the direction of Earth until the next episode. . . But watching a block of three or four episodes at a time has a flavor of monotony to it - like, "Man, they're never gonna make it home like this -- stopping *every hour* to offer humanitarian aid and exploring every single anomalous reading within sensor range? Sheesh."

5) My motto: "Anything worth doing is worth doing well. (. . .unless, of course there isn't enough time to do it well - in which case don't bother)."
This perfectly explains the usual state of my house.

6) My favorite artist is Dona Gelsinger, who expertly captures the spirit of Heaven in a rectangle:




7) I *LOVE* all kinds of mexican food, but my current favorite is Pappasito's. Mexico City Style Chicken and Rice Soup. . . with lots and lots of salsa. YUM!

8) I LOVE anything pertaining to Disney animated classics. I've recently picked up collecting again as a hobby since I decided I might as well use all of my old stuff to decorate the gameroom. There's a board game from practically every Disney classic, and I'm trying to collect my favorites. . . .My dad shops around at thrift stores all across the country and has brought me back tons of treasures. The best finds so far are an extremely rare VHS copy of "Make Mine Music" which I keep under lock and key and a large original (Disney) Pooh Bear from the '70's.

9) Even though my kids aren't in preschool any more, I still love Blue's Clue's. I could sit and watch that show by the hour. Joe is okay, but I prefer Steve. If the TV is tuned to Noggin and a good episode comes on, I've been known to stop what I'm doing and watch. My favorite episodes are "What Story Does Blue Want to Play?" which features a skit with a "king" that happens to look and sound like Elvis. . . and "What's so Funny?" which features Sock Puppet and a funny, dry, almost candid comment from Steve: "this is absurd." that absolutely *nails* for a brief moment the reality/absurdity of a grown man pretending to be "Steve," crouched behind the thinking chair pretending to be Blue, talking to himself in what probably resembles a large, empty swimming pool (green screen). Maybe you'd have to see it to appreciate it. . . .Or maybe you'd just have to be me :)

10) I love thinking "out of the box." If it's common or has been done before, I'll find another way. Sometimes I will take somebody else's idea and put my own spin on it, which is similarly satisfying. . . .but my favorite ideas are always original and usually involve using one or more completely non-associated items put together to make what I need. ( i.e. using beef stroganoff TV dinners as a base for wedding soup.)

Bonus: I don't give a hoot about the environment, but I love to recycle for sheer joy of sorting. I also find it hard to part with stuff and see future uses for all kinds of old things that are otherwise useless . . .and pack tons of stuff away for use with future projects.

Oh yeah~I'm unique.



I'm new to blogging and am something of a leaf node, without anyone to tag yet. . . .Will pass along first chance I get :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm afraid you give me way too much credit, but thanks for the vote of confidence!

    ReplyDelete